Tuesday 18 June 2013

Mixed Media Journal Take 3


No, it is NOT blood.  As usual when working on a canvas, I had a stencil drenched in lovely juicy red dylusion inks, so I slipped the stencil between two pages and blotted it on the opposite page.  Weeks later I picked up my pens and decided to fill the empty areas.  With such a large area in the centre I drew this lovely lady.  Some friends think this is spooky due to the red ink residue on her face.  I don't have those thoughts, I loved working on the whole thing and wonder about the mystery lady peeping from behind the flower!!!!!




The background for the pages above came after completing the border, which I often do it seems.  I used various ink sprays and stencil for the main images.  The completed pages are a bit dark, but then this journal is all about trying out different techniques that I might not have tried otherwise.  More to follow tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheelagh,

    I think your 'Lady peeking through the flowers' is gorgeous and sooo striking. She reminds me of a series of books my daughter has by Chris Riddell called about a girl called 'Ottoline' and we both adore these books. He draws amazingly detailed illustrations using only black,red and white. Here's a link in case you are interested:-

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ottoline-Yellow-Cat-Chris-Riddell/dp/1405050578/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378074689&sr=1-4&keywords=chris+riddell

    I love the colour combination of the inks you sprayed and the white contrasting detail works soooo well too.
    Thank you for sharing these lovely photos.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Su
    -x-

    ReplyDelete